asian cabbage soup (#2)
this is a great detoxing soup. for best results, make a big pot and eat it for a whole day or even two days running.
- 1 white cabbage (500g)
- 1 small cauliflower (300g)
- 200g carrots
- 4 sticks of celery
- bunch of cherry tomatoes
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper
- large onion
- 1 leek
- 2 dessertspoons best olive oil
- 1 dessertspoon curry powder
- 1 dessertspoon ground cumin
- 2-6 garlic cloves (according to taste)
- 2 dessertspoons tomato purée
- 1.5 litre water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 dessertspoon ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh red hot chili peppers
- 2cm x 2cm fresh ginger
- 2 sticks of lemon grass
- soya sauce
- fresh coriander
- fresh parsley
now's the easy bit:
- wash the vegetables and cut them up into strips, chunks, florets or however you like. in a big pan gently fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil. season with the curry, cumin and garlic. fry and stir for another minute.
- add the rest of the vegetables and tomato purée, then pour over the water.
- now add the stock cubes, coriander, bay leaves, chili, ginger and lemon grass and bring to the boil.
- let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked but still have some crunch. serve with soya sauce and the fresh chopped herbs.
alternative: you can spice it up with some thai or indian curry paste at the frying stage.
source: eckart witzigmann, translated from the book "die magische kohlsuppe", gräfe & unzer 2002